Kyeemagh is named from an Aboriginal word meaning 'beautiful dawn'.
Brighton-Le-Sands - Kyeemagh - Mascot is bounded by the former course of the Cooks River in the north, Botany Bay in the east, President Avenue in the south, and the suburbs of Kogarah and Rockdale and the Muddy Creek in the west.
Settlement of the area dates primarily from the 1850s, although little growth occurred until 1916 when Kyeemagh was subdivided. Significant development occurred in the interwar period and the post-war years. The Sydney International Airport Terminal (now Terminal 1) was constructed in the late 1960s. In recent years, tourism has fuelled growth, with high density housing and many multicultural restaurants constructed close to the beach. The population generally increased slightly from the mid-1990s as new dwellings were added to the area.
Brighton-Le-Sands - Kyeemagh - Mascot is an established residential area, with commercial land use along Bay Street.
Major features of the area include the Sydney International Airport (Terminal 1), Brighton Le Sands Beach, Brighton Le Sands Baths, Bayside Plaza Shopping Centre, Cook Park, Kyeemagh Boat Ramp Reserve, Lance Studdert Reserve, Tony Baker Reserve, White Oak Reserve, Brighton Memorial Playing Fields and a number of schools.
Parts of the suburb of Mascot are located in the City of Botany Bay and the Marrickville Council area.
Brighton-Le-Sands Public School, St Thomas More's Catholic School, St Dominic Savio School, James Cook Boys High School, St George School, Bayside Plaza at Novotel, Brighton, Coles Supermarket, Rockdale Plaza, café and local restaurants.